The writer in me loves naming people. I had names picked out for my babies before I even wanted to be a mother. Yes, I named my “imaginary” babies. 🙂 When I did find myself pregnant for the first time, the name I had picked out for years flew out the window, and I chose a new one upon finding out our baby would be a girl.
I had only one important criteria – this name could not be one that my daughter would share with several other girls in her local age group. I was one of around five Kellis in my school. My mother swears that she was the first to use the name in our town. I was the only one to spell it with an “i”. The other basic thought was not to make it too different. I definitely appreciate uniqueness, but some names make you want to ask the parents how they chose the name and why. Old names are ones that I have always appreciated and when I saw a little dark haired, brown eyed girl in the movie “The Songcatcher”, I began to day dream that she held similar features to the little one that grew inside me. We named our first born an old Appalachian name that we learned from a Hollywood movie. 🙂 She was born with sandy hair and blue eyes, but she was still our Deladis. Our second daughter is our dark beauty.
Choosing a Baby Name
Naming your baby is an extremely important task. The name you give them will be something they carry all through their life. It is the beginning of who they are. Parents should choose a name that they truly love and respect, and not one they are simply satisfied with. Choosing a name may take time. It should be a thoughtful process with everything considered.
- How will it be spelled?
- Is it on the top 10 list for U.S. names?
- Do we/I want a name that reflects our heritage national/ethnic, religious?
- How unique are we/I willing to go?
- How will the name sound with the baby’s last name?
- Do the initials spell anything?
- How do I feel about other people who have this name?
- Do we/I want to use a family name?
- Will my baby be a junior or II, III?
Websites – Baby Names
- Baby Names.com
- Baby Zone – baby names, origins, and meanings
- My Baby Name – a fun site with over 25,000 names, meanings, origins, and polls to vote for your favorites.
- Top 100 male and female baby names in Kentucky in 2009 – you can also select other states to view and check the popularity of any name.
Names that Make You Go Hmmm… – Celebrities
What are your favorite baby names? Do you have a fun story of how you chose your baby’s name?
Many blessings to you and yours,